So, you did it! You were the one-in-ten and you got promoted to the first level of leadership. Now, how do you keep the momentum and continue the climb? You need to transition from being a sole producer to a team producer – you have to shift from an individual mindset to a leadership mindset.
It’s time to start focusing on developing and empowering your team, instead of focusing on (you) getting specific tasks done.
To make the shift, there are nine things you’ll need to do:
- Learn to empower people.
- Learn to delegate.
- Learn to coach and mentor the people around you.
- Let others come up with solutions.
- Be able to align the vision of your team to the vision of the organization.
- Learn to manage expectations and tell people what you expect of them.
- Give people all the resources and training that they’ll need to accomplish what you expect of them. And finally,
- Hold people accountable.
There are many resources available to help you develop your leadership abilities and mindset. I’ll provide several of my favorite resources in a future article. And next time – I know there are some C personalities out there who noticed I only gave you eight – I’ll share the ninth thing you need to do to make the shift from producer to a leader.